Mitochondria are one of the most important organelles in our cells. They are the producers of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) energy, so often referred to as the powerhouses of the cells. They help to turn the food that we consume into energy.
Mitochondria are present in every cell of our body.
Besides energy production, they also play a role in cell death, called apoptosis. They decide which cells should be destroyed, if they become broken or cancerous.
Mitochondria help in absorption of calcium ions and holding them until they are needed.
Mitochondria can also assist the body to generate heat by using brown fat tissue.
Mitochondrial structure is very complex, but one thing that is very important is that in the inner membrane of the mitochondria, called the matrix, there are hundreds of enzymes crucial in the production of energy (ATP). Mitochondrial DNA is also housed in the matrix.
Cells of the body that require the most energy, have greater numbers of mitochondria.
Mitochondria provide energy for the sperm cells (tail movement) that is so important for fertility.
Mitochondria are so important for our health that it is necessary to support them.
There are many ways to support our mitochondrial health:
- Walk outside for at least 15 to 20 minutes per day
- Do deep breathing exercises in the morning and before bed
- Juice fasts and clean nutrition
- Supplements-there are variety of supplements on the market that contain Ubiquinol, Liposomal Vitamin C, Vitamin D3 and K2, Turmeric, Resveratrol and certain B vitamins.
For more information about mitochondrial health, specific supplements and dosing, consult your naturopathic practitioner.
***The aging process depends on mitochondrial health, so take care of them and stay young***
3/4 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup almond butter
1TBSP coconut oil
1 cup almonds, finely chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup sprouted gluten free rolled oats
1/4 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
1/4 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
1. In the food processor, pulse the dates until finely chopped
-it should look like a dough consistency. You may also finely chop dates by hand.
2. Add the dates to the bowl, along with the almonds, oats, cranberries and chocolate. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat almond butter over low heat, along with the vanilla extract and coconut oil.
4. When oil is melted, stir to combine, then add to the date mixture and mix well.
5. Line 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper and transfer the mixture into the baking dish. Pack down firmly, cover, and chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
6. Slice into 12 bars. You may wrap them individually and store at room temperature, wherever you need a snack.
It is finally Spring and it is time to clean, detoxify, rejuvenate and nourish your body.
There is no good health without regular fasting either through a simple water fast or a juice fast.
I generally prefer and recommend the juice fast, as it is very clean and simple to follow.
All you need is a juicer, preferably a masticating or slow juicer to preserve as many nutrients as possible.
Juices are easily assimilated into the blood stream giving the body an immediate source of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, micronutrients and electrolytes. The juice cleanse allows the body to easily remove toxins improving liver and kidney function. The intestinal tract is prompted to get rid of old debris from the walls of the gut that accumulated over time.
Some symptoms that can be experienced during the detox:
– Headache and some fatigue may occur in about 2-3 days of the cleanse. It is a sign of toxins being released into the blood stream. Do not worry. It will pass.
-Cravings for solid foods,it is important not to eat any solid foods during this time. If you have a strong craving, prepare an extra glass of juice and sip on it.
Important steps during your juice fast:
- Every morning drink a glass of warm water with a slice of lemon.
- Prepare fresh juices every day and drink at least 16 oz 4-6 times per day.
- Drink water between juices for hydration.
- Try not to eat any solid foods.
- Go to bed early.
- Do stretching exercises every day for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do dry skin brushing before showers.
Rich green Juice
-4-6 kale leaves
-1 medium size cucumber
-3 stalks of celery
-1 Granny Smith apple
-1 cm ginger root
-may add some lemon juice
Carrot/Beet juice Plus
-2 large carrots
-1/2 medium beet
-1 Granny Smith apple
-1/3 Romaine lettuce
-1/4 lemon peeled
Super Intestinal Detox juice
-3-4 celery stalks
-juice of half lemon
-fresh cilantro (just enough to taste)
After 5-7 days of your cleanse, start to consume easy to digest foods: lightly steamed vegetables, avocados and berries.
Gradually (over 3-5 days, return to a clean, no sugar, no wheat and no dairy containing diet), so your body can heal and rejuvenate. The benefit of this hard work will be your great satisfaction that you have accomplish your goal to detoxify your body, weight loss and tremendous boost of energy. It is worth it!!
For more details and for many other detox protocols, healthy weight loss nutrition guidelines and proper supplementation contact me at The Green Heart Naturopathic Clinic.