3/4 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup almond butter
1TBSP coconut oil
1 cup almonds, finely chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup sprouted gluten free rolled oats
1/4 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
1/4 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
1. In the food processor, pulse the dates until finely chopped
-it should look like a dough consistency. You may also finely chop dates by hand.
2. Add the dates to the bowl, along with the almonds, oats, cranberries and chocolate. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat almond butter over low heat, along with the vanilla extract and coconut oil.
4. When oil is melted, stir to combine, then add to the date mixture and mix well.
5. Line 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper and transfer the mixture into the baking dish. Pack down firmly, cover, and chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
6. Slice into 12 bars. You may wrap them individually and store at room temperature, wherever you need a snack.
It is finally Spring and it is time to clean, detoxify, rejuvenate and nourish your body.
There is no good health without regular fasting either through a simple water fast or a juice fast.
I generally prefer and recommend the juice fast, as it is very clean and simple to follow.
All you need is a juicer, preferably a masticating or slow juicer to preserve as many nutrients as possible.
Juices are easily assimilated into the blood stream giving the body an immediate source of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, micronutrients and electrolytes. The juice cleanse allows the body to easily remove toxins improving liver and kidney function. The intestinal tract is prompted to get rid of old debris from the walls of the gut that accumulated over time.
Some symptoms that can be experienced during the detox:
– Headache and some fatigue may occur in about 2-3 days of the cleanse. It is a sign of toxins being released into the blood stream. Do not worry. It will pass.
-Cravings for solid foods,it is important not to eat any solid foods during this time. If you have a strong craving, prepare an extra glass of juice and sip on it.
Important steps during your juice fast:
- Every morning drink a glass of warm water with a slice of lemon.
- Prepare fresh juices every day and drink at least 16 oz 4-6 times per day.
- Drink water between juices for hydration.
- Try not to eat any solid foods.
- Go to bed early.
- Do stretching exercises every day for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do dry skin brushing before showers.
Rich green Juice
-4-6 kale leaves
-1 medium size cucumber
-3 stalks of celery
-1 Granny Smith apple
-1 cm ginger root
-may add some lemon juice
Carrot/Beet juice Plus
-2 large carrots
-1/2 medium beet
-1 Granny Smith apple
-1/3 Romaine lettuce
-1/4 lemon peeled
Super Intestinal Detox juice
-3-4 celery stalks
-juice of half lemon
-fresh cilantro (just enough to taste)
After 5-7 days of your cleanse, start to consume easy to digest foods: lightly steamed vegetables, avocados and berries.
Gradually (over 3-5 days, return to a clean, no sugar, no wheat and no dairy containing diet), so your body can heal and rejuvenate. The benefit of this hard work will be your great satisfaction that you have accomplish your goal to detoxify your body, weight loss and tremendous boost of energy. It is worth it!!
For more details and for many other detox protocols, healthy weight loss nutrition guidelines and proper supplementation contact me at The Green Heart Naturopathic Clinic.
1 cup almonds
1 and 1/2 cup cashews
2 Tbsp coconut nectar
2Tbsp coconut oil
1Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cacao powder
1pinch sea salt
- Process almonds and cashews in a food processor until they almost resembles flour like consistency (more or less.)
Add dates, coconut nectar, coconut oil, vanilla extract and process again until dough like.
- Add cacao powder and salt and process again.
Form cookies to a shape of your choice
For Sunday healthy dessert
2 cups raw pecans or walnuts
¼ cup raisins
Pinch of sea salt
6 apples, cored and peeled, chopped into chunks (honey crisp)
7-8 medjool dates pitted
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 TBSP Juice of lemon, freshly squeezed
Pinch of nutmeg
2 TBSP chia seeds
¼ cup pecans or walnuts
¼ cup raw coconut sugar
1 tsp coconut oil warmed to a liquid
½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Put all of the crust ingredients into a food processor fitted with S blade and pulse the mixture a few times and then process until it reaches crumbly and sticky consistency. Do not over process.
- Put mixture into a pie plate and press firmly and evenly with your hands to fill the bottom and the sides of the pie plate like you would with a regular pie crust.
- Transfer the plate into a freezer to set for 30minutes.
- Roughly chop 3 apples, add them to the food processor together with dates, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice
- Pulse the mixture a few times then process for 3-4 minutes to get smooth consistency. You would have to stop the food processor a few times to scrape the sides.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and mix in the chia seeds.
- Chop the remaining 3 peeled and cored apples and chop them into very small pieces.
- Add apples to the liquid apple mixture in a bowl.
- Take out the apple crust from the freezer and fill the crust with the apple mixture.
Apple pie topping:
- Put all of the apple topping ingredients into a food processor. Pulse a few times (20-30) until you get coarse crumble.
- Sprinkle the topping over the pie.
- Transfer to a freezer to set for 1 hour. After that remove the pie and cut into slices.
- Store in the refrigerator.